This Japanese-inspired salad is easy to make. Its ingredients are simple and accessible, at least here in the Philippines. Its being healthy does not compromise its taste.
The creaminess of the dressing is akin to mayonnaise with wasabi while the sweetness of the mango introduces sudden bursts of sweetness and softness. The toasted sesame seeds, which are loaded with calcium, adds a bit of crunch.
1 medium-sized avocado, pitted
½ freshly squeezed lime
1 Tbsp grape seed oil or extra virgin olive oil
1 clove of garlic, peeled
1 tsp wasabi taste
A pinch of sea salt
Water as needed
7 leaves of lettuce, sliced
½ medium-sized carrot, peeled and grated
½ medium-sized cucumber, peeled and julienned
1 medium-sized mango, sliced into cubes
1 sheet of nori, shredded
1 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
1. Blend the ingredients for the dressing then set aside. Place in a sealed container and refrigerate while preparing the vegetables and other ingredients.
2. Toss the rest of the ingredients into a big bowl along with the dressing. Mix gently.
3 to 4 persons.
1. Feel free to adjust the dressing according to your taste. Personally, I’d like to add more wasabi but my Mom doesn’t like it too spicy.
2. Add water sparingly on the dressing. Use only enough for the ingredients to combine smoothly.
3. This recipe is both vegan- and vegetarian-friendly.