Tomatofied Pechay with Walnuts (in Tagalog, Ginisang Pechay na may Walnuts) is a simple and common dish at home that I’ve veganized. I substitute small shrimps or pork cutlets with walnuts. The walnuts break the leafy-veggie taste and taste sweet against the sourish tomatoes. Instead of sauteing in oil, I cook everything in a small amount of water replenishing as needed to keep it from burning. Then oil is drizzled after removing it from fire.
water as needed
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium-sized garlic, chopped
2 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
salt to taste
3 bundles of pechay, chopped; separate stems from leaves
a handful of walnuts, roughly chopped
3 to 4 Tbsp of flax seed oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
1. Cook the garlic and onion in little water.
2. Add the tomatoes and salt.
3. Put in the pechay stems first then after a minute or so, add the pechay leaves.
4. When the pechay is almost cooked, add the walnuts.
5. Remove from the fire and drizzle the flax seed oil.